Frequently Asked Questions


Coronavirus response FAQs

As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation progresses, there are many questions and concerns about how the necessary government measures will affect us all. We’ll do our best to answer your questions, and keep this page updated with useful information.


Is the Town Council still operating?

Yes, we are. While the Town Hall is closed to the public, Council staff are still working but from home where possible in line with government guidelines.


I am worried about my elderly relatives in Wilton who may need help/support, but I’m too far away/in self-isolation, what help is available?

Salisbury Medical Practice which operates the Wilton Medical Centre will be contacting at risk patients from Monday 23rd March to provide specific medical advice. Further information from Salisbury Medical Practice is available online.


There is also online information available for patients of the Old Orchard Surgery.

Please keep in touch with your elderly relatives to make sure they are following government advice on self isolation. Maintain regular contact with them and use these resources to make sure they have everything they need.


I’m unable to leave home/self-isolating, how can I get food/prescriptions?

There is currently a lot of work going on to coordinate local volunteers to help support vulnerable people with basic needs such as shopping and prescription collections. Wilton and District Link Scheme may be able to help pick up prescriptions. 


We are encouraging all Wilton residents to get to know their neighbours and be aware of anyone in their street who may need help. Making contact with somebody nearby is your best source of support in the immediate future. There are a number of local volunteers groups operating – you can find out more about this on the Wilton Chat Facebook Page.


I am on a zero hours contract and have been laid off, what do I do?

You may be able to claim Universal Credit. To find out more and to check if you’re eligible visit or call 0800 328 5644.


I can’t pay my rent/mortgage, what do I do?

You may be eligible for universal credit to help pay your rent if you are unable to work/lose your job due to the Coronavirus. Please visit the Government website for more information: or call 0800 328 5644.


If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or  loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home


This help is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). For more information visit


There are currently no plans to change regular waste/recycling collections, although this may change over the coming weeks and months?


Please check on the Wiltshire Council website for the latest updates or to receive updates about Wiltshire Council services and sign up for email alerts.


Will local bus services continue to run as normal?

All bus services (as of 19th March) are currently running as normal, however Salisbury Reds current plan is to bring in special timetables with effect from Monday 6 April. The detail of this is being worked on but we will updated their website at


How can I help others?

The very best thing you can do is keep an eye out for your elderly or vulnerable neighbours. Give them a ring, ask if there is anything you can pick up for them when you are at the shops. 


If you want to do more, download this community self-help pack or if you are happy for us to pass on your contact details to support groups, register as a community emergency volunteer now.

You can find out more about COVID-19 Mutual Aid Volunteer Groups online. 

 If you have a question that we may be able to help with please email